Friday, April 5, 2019

Your Venture’s Unfair Advantage

There are several resources that give my organization an unfair advantage.

1. My network

I am a young kid around Gainesville that spends a lot of time trying to give back. People know that about me and people see potential in me. I am friends/acquaintances with many people around Gainesville that could help me out with this project and maybe even regularly volunteer with the organization. I have been friends with Commissioner David Arreola since before he became commissioner, I have interviewed the mayor and invited him to several events, I am friends with many people from the Civic Media Center who do a lot for the homeless community in general, and I've volunteered my Monday's last year to help Saint Francis house. People trust me.


2. My membership to government funded organizations

I am already a member of several nonprofits. If need be, I could make this mentorship program associated with another nonprofit that receives government money to take it off the ground, and once the program lifts off the ground I could separate it from the nonprofit and petition to make it a nonprofit.

3. My knowledge of Gainesville

So far I have included A LOT of intangible resources. But they are important in the creation of this nonprofit. I have stated many times that I have lived in Gainesville all my life and therefore know it like the back of my hand. I have a good understanding of the people I should target, the resources I could get, the organizations that could help, and the limitations of the city.

4. Mentorship experience

I have already been a mentor before. Not only have I been a mentor for this organization called ILP. I have also been a mentor for MANY elementary schoolers for Reading Pals. This gives me direct experience for my venture.

5. My location

I live torward the east side of town which is the population that I will be targeting, so commuting won't be a problem. My parents live near the Oaks Mall, which is surprisingly another area that unfortunately is full of inequity because of an initiative that tried to move the location of many households to the west side of town to try to "integrate" the upperclass and lowerclass. Unfortunately, it had many negative consequences. Many of these people still WORK on the west side of town, and need to commute back to the west side of town in order to pick up their kids from school and then many times go back to work. In many situations, they don't even have a car. It ridiculous and very unfair.

6. Mentorship materials

I have many books that are related to mentorship and turning around your life. These books are anywhere from motivational novels to textbooks which will come in handy when I am teaching people.

7. A group of dedicated volunteers

I cannot stress enough that I have been a member of many organizations, inside and outside of the University of Florida and therefore I know a lot of people who have not only volunteered with me, but volunteered regularly. So I know many people who are dedicated to the work they do. Unfortunately, when it comes to service, many people burn out quickly. It is hard to work for free especially when you don't notice tangible consequences right away. I know a group of people that stay dedicated to the work they do even when going through experiences like this.

8. A space

This seems very simple, but it is also very crucial. Let's face it. I am a college student. Therefore I do not have the money to afford anything ridiculous. But I do personally know the owners of several community spaces that are regularly used for nonprofits.

9. Members who can speak Spanish

I am seriously trying to learn to speak Spanish and although I am progressing, I am nowhere near where I need to be to have a complicated conversation with the people that I am attempting to help.

Gainesville is a sanctuary city. Because of this, we have many members of the hispanic community who are in Gainesville seeking asylum and a better life. Being that I have volunteers who can speak Spanish, it will help me reach a broader group of individuals.

10. Friends in low income households and the homeless community

I have spent a lot of time downtown and in St Francis house and because of this, there are many familiar faces. I have known a few people who unfortunately passed away after hard years on the streets. But I also know many who seek to live a better life. Who want to be independent.



The top resource would definitely be my first one: my network. It is very hard for ideas to come into fruition if you don't have connections. As they always say: "It isn't about what you know. It is about who you know". I believe my network will help me strive in this venture and whatever ventures I have in the future.


1 comment:

  1. Patrick,
    Your association with organizations and people that would influence your business/non-profit has given you a lot of knowledge about the city and people who live there. This knowledge you have will be beneficial when you are ready to get this business off the ground because your will need your network to help you move in the right direction. When you think you know it all, you will realize how far you are from it.

    ReplyDelete