Friday, April 12, 2019

Celebrating Failure

Allow me to talk about several small failures that I believe has shaped me this semester. I know that this assignment wants me to pick one, but all of these failures are interconnected. 

My Failures

I have had several small failures that put my life into perspective for me. A lot of the failures were due to laziness. But I have learned a lot about myself through these failures. Let's talk about the first one. Every semester, I come up with a semester goal. This semester, I failed to not only achieve a goal, but also even come up with a goal. 
My course load this semester was rather small. Which brings me to my next failure. Not only was my course load small. I also didn't do terrific in the classes that I DID have. I didn't fail any of my classes, but I got more B's than I had wanted and now I will have to make it up in more rigorous semesters. 
Now I will talk about my personal life. Without delving too much into detail, I will say that I have not been surrounding myself with the people that I should have been. There are a lot of people that I have been friends with simply because it made me more comfortable. I failed to surround myself with new people who could help shape me further.
.
None of these may sound like "failures". But to me, they were a result of laziness. I have been far too lazy this semester. I haven't been eating the best, I have been frivolously spending, and I haven't been feeling like I have been at my A game because of this. 

So if I were to fit my failures into one word, it would have to been "laziness". 

What I Learned

I learned a lot from my failures. A lot of what I learned was lifestyle changes. I now have a dry erase calendar in my room to make sure I am true to my commitments. I gave away the things in my room that I couldn't justify having and been living a more organized life. I have been writing in a journal more because I want to be able to organize my thoughts - as lame as that might sound. In general, I feel like I have set myself up better for next semester. 

My Thoughts on Failure 

My thoughts on failure aren't original. But I genuinely believe they are a part of life. It is completely outrageous to believe that you will just walk through life constantly thriving. Failure shapes the qualities in a person that a lot of people admire: tenacity, modesty, resolve, and patience. If it weren't for failure, the successes wouldn't be as sweet. We would just re-calibrate our thoughts on what success is.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Patrick! I like how you weren’t afraid to share not just one of your failures but multiple! I think that shows how you see failure as an opportunity for improvement and instead of running from it, embrace it when it comes which is necessary for entrepreneurs. Hearing some of your stories that you shared, I am happy that you are being very introspective and I hope these reflections draw you to things you need to change.

    ReplyDelete