Friday, March 1, 2019

Evaluating How Your Customers Evaluate Stuff

Being that I am not terribly close to anybody within the foster care system, I had to really look for people who have been part of the foster care system. I had to email the following people because none of them were available for in person interviews.

1. Lydia Joyner: I had the pleasure of speaking with Lydia Joyner. I had not heard of her until my friend from the Sierra Club introduced me to her. She is apparently now an activist, writer, and filmmaker and shown on a few documentaries. If you search her name on YouTube, you will find her!

"I had to change my name several times while I was in the foster care system. That is just one brief example of the instability and anxiety that arises when one is in foster care. I had to try to blend in wherever I went. I had to try to live like others, putting myself in their skin in order to act like a "regular person". I would watch movies. Not only were they my escape. That's where I learned my values and how to live. In foster care, I was taught that I was destined to be homeless, do drugs, or go to jail. But now I try to help others by telling everyone my story. So I have been trying to spread my story and give others an opportunity to share theirs through my program "My sky is falling". It is a way for humans to get a human connection. To share their story." 

2. James Freight: James isn't in the spotlight like Lydia is. He is however a person who wrote in his local newspaper in a small town in Indiana and talked about his experience in the foster care. 

"My sister was in foster care with me. She was the smart one. She got me through all of the hardships. But the system failed her. I was fortunately able to find stability later in life, but she wasn't able to live life later on. The system is what broke her and be around people who would ultimately destroy her."

3. Keisha Landry: Keisha is my age and just got out of the foster system. 

"I am honestly surprised I found my way out. It was because of a local mentorship program that was offered to me. I was taught about the importance of organization and forward thinking. The foster care system was a major set back but I believe I am finding my way out of it. I am now enrolling at Phoenix online while working full time as a waitress. I'm seriously finding my way."


The people I interviewed were all pretty confused about the third question, but Lydia and James said they are more willing to buy products in a store and Keisha is more willing to buy a product online. All of them usually use cards on any kind of purchase. They weren't any more clear about their purchasing habits than that. But I believe my product should be an in person product. A mentorship program needs human connection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment