Friday, March 29, 2019

Bringing In A Second Opinion

Book: Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

1. The argument in this book is that we have to modes of thinking: fast and slow thinking. The first way of thought are intuitive. Daniel explains that this mode of thought is very influential. They are off the cuff ways of thinking and they allow us to finish the sentence "bread and..." He explains that those with a developed fast thinking ability are on the road to success. Daniel also explains that there is slow thinking. These are decisions that are more deliberate and use more brain power. It is also tremendously important to have an advanced slow thinking ability. But slow thinking can also lead to overthinking which can lead to laziness and ultimately failure. Those who fail often do so due to a poor handling of slow thinking. 

2. This book gave a psychological approach to what I have been learning in ENT 3003. It gave me an idea of what the brain goes through when I can't decide on a decision to make and why I may not follow through with certain decisions. 

3. The exercise would definitely be an exercise designed to get people to overthink. I would probably say a riddle that is in reality very easy to solve, but only those with an advanced fast thinking ability will get a chance to solve. 

4. There was a section of the book that focused on decision making and how our decisions do not always take into account our best interest. He argues that are decisions are largely based on our memories which can alter within 15 minutes of whatever event we are attempting to remember. We therefore make our decisions based on this altered memory. He gives several exercises for avoiding this mistake that I will definitely use in the future. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Patrick! I liked your summary of Daniel Kahneman’s book however I think you could have also explained WHY it is “tremendously important to have an advanced slow thinking ability” because the next sentence is skipping straight to the weaknesses of slow thinking. I can definitely understand how slow thinking leads to overthinking though. Personally, when I am faced with difficult decisions that take more thought, I can overthink every detail which then ends up overwhelming me. I think we must have a balance of fast and slow thinking which I think Kahneman emphasizes in his book. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next sentence was the explanation.

      It is important to have an advanced slow thinking ability because if you're negligent, then you often get stuck in a vortex which leads to laziness and overthinking.

      My inclusion of "but" was a mistake so that probably lead you to believe that I wasn't explaining myself.

      Delete
  2. Patrick, I considered reading Daniel Kahneman's book. Instead, I chose Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. Your book seems to mirror the layout of the book I read. It is interesting that both presented two methods of approaching our lives. Fast thinking could mirror a growth mindset in that both are most effective in reaching a goal. Good job.

    ReplyDelete